Sunday, November 20, 2011

"Where I Lived and What I Lived For" by Henry David Thoreau


Thoreau, H. D. (2011)."Where I Lived and What I Lived For". In 50 Essays (3rd ed., pp. 403-409). Boston: Bedford.

In his essay Henry Thoreu explains how he enjoys life as it being simple. He really goes over this matter because in the essay he says, "Simplify, simplify," and "Simplicity, simplicity,simplicity!" He makes it clear that our life is complex now a days with railroads and such with the advancement in society. He asks, "Why should we live with such hurry and waste of life?" He comes up with examples of everyday life and concludes we should slow down to have only the neccesities of life. Thoreu thinks we should not need railroads and asks, if we were to stay home and mind our business, who will want railroads? Henry's thoughts can relate today in the world because social media is a big part of society. Social media proves his point of moving too fast. A text or and email can be recieved in less than a second no matter how far you are away from that person. Thoreu's idea of, we wouldn't need railroads if people just mind their own business is similar as well, because social media is out there with facebook or even blogger and faster than a train on railroads. The internet is way faster to retrieve any information about anyone or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment